My PSOP: If its good enough for all our other processes, well then, it's good for enough for me.


In the fast-paced world we live in, time is of the essence, and efficiency one key to success. 

When we are managing a business or a team, having a set of well-defined Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) can significantly enhance productivity and consistency. As an individual, I have come to realize the tremendous benefits of applying the same principles that drive successful business processes to my personal work routine.

SOPs are detailed step-by-step instructions that outline how to perform tasks, ensure quality, and maintain consistency in operations. They are commonly utilized in businesses to streamline workflows, minimize errors, and facilitate training. However, their value extends far beyond the wide corporate realm. Embracing SOPs on a personal level has allowed me to take control of my time, eliminate unnecessary stress, and achieve my goals more effectively.

The first step in adopting personal SOPs is to identify recurring tasks and activities in our daily routine. These could range from running reports or gathering data, to your day to day recurring tasks, to managing small projects through multiple steps. Once these tasks are identified, you can apply the same systematic approach that businesses use to create their SOPs.

Some of my favorite tips are:

Be Brief and be clear: Make sure your tasks are bite sized and easy to swallow, otherwise they will sit there till they are done. Like when you Mom said you couldn't play till you ate all your veggies. Make each task or step easily achievable.

Cover all your bases: Create tasks for all the things you do.  Some task management software allows you to make multiple lists and then sort by due date.  Like me for instance, I have tasks and To-Do's and based on the due dates they populate in a daily work list for me to follow. No task is too small, especially if you are likely to let it ummm....fly under the radar?

Continuous Improvement: Like any good business, I regularly review and update my personal SOPs. This allows me to adapt to changing circumstances and find better ways to do things.

Troubleshooting and Contingency Planning: SOPs in a business environment often include contingency plans for potential issues. I apply the same approach to my personal tasks by anticipating obstacles and having backup plans ready. Such as a backup list service or program in case i accidentally lose access to my main Work manager for some reason such as maintenance or technical issues.  Not a complete copy, but a backup list of the important stuff.

Implementing personal SOPs has had a profound impact on my workday. I have found that having well-defined and scheduled processes not only saves time but also reduces stress and fatigue, by saving mental  resources and keeping them in reserve. Because we know it is highly likely something is going to come up and try to run us off the rails, and we'll be ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Squirrels: The Power of Organization to Boost Productivity and Well-Being in Your Work Environment

Cutting Waste: How Lean Thinking Improves Efficiency in Operations

Messy, Messy, Messyyyy - Cut it with the Clutter